Service and Impact since the fiscal year ending on December 31, 2008
CSN core programs served a total of 18,794 persons:
9,352 through education, advocacy and support in-person programming and 9,442 through the WarmLines. This represents over a 26% increase in numbers served.
- 9,352 through education, advocacy and support in-person programming
- 9,442 through the WarmLines
This represents a 25% increase in numbers served. This increase is thanks to the addition of new programs and stable staffing patterns made possible by the support of loyal funders.
CSN’s service populations consist of:
- Consumers: those who either self-identify or have been diagnosed with a psychiatric diagnosis
- Providers: mental health care givers and administrators
- Allies: persons who have a family member, friend or colleague with a mental health care issue
All programming is created and carried out by consumers. Of those who used our services:
- 73% were consumers
- 17% were providers
- 10% were allies
- 18% used more than one CSN service
- 85% were women; 15 % were men
- 56% were parents
Of those who use our services, 76% have been hospitalized for mental illness at one point in their lives, and nearly 90% qualify as low-income in that they receive publicly subsidized health care such as Medical Assistance or are living at or below the federally mandated rates of poverty.
The diversity of our consumer client base represents those who use our services across the state in which only 3 of 8 offices are in urban areas:
- 85% Caucasian
- 4% Native American
- 4% African American
- 1% Latino
- 1% Asian
- 5% Other/Multicultural
CSN’s membership represents the changing age balance of the broader population. As of our last membership survey, our members were:
- 0% age 69+
- 15% age 60-69
- 40% age 50-59
- 27% age 40-49
- 9% age 30-39
- 8% age 18-29 years old
CSN operates eight Regional Resource Centers and served the following number of participants:
|Location||Programming||% of those served|
|Northwest Territory-Park Rapids||2016||22%|
|Region 5- Wadena||602||6%|
The CSN operates eight WarmLines to help callers seeking resources and peer referrals. The WarmLines are toll-free and staffed by trained peer specialists who are familiar with the specific resources available in the area.
|Location||Call Count 2006-2007||Call Count 2007-2008||_.Call Count 2008 – 2009|
- Consumers account for 73% of the calls
- Providers account for 20% of the calls
- Allies account for 7% of the calls
- Calls lasted an average of 14 minutes
- Callers were 60% women; 40% men
- 5% required crisis referrals while the remaining 95% were seeking less intensive assistance.
Most common reasons callers phoned the WarmLine:
- Mental Health peer support
- Physical Health Care/Wellness needs/concerns
- Issues around relationships with friends/family or with an intimate relationship
- Concerns regarding how to participate in activities (daily or social)
- Questions/concerns regarding medication
- Questions/concerns with how to manage work/school or volunteer activities
- Concerns regarding personal finances
- Alcohol/Chemical Dependency issue
Beginning in June 2008, we began to see greater numbers of callers concerned about callers about personal finances and the economy downturn. This was a reminder that our callers, largely low-income are those most in danger during these tough economic times as they depend upon social services, low-wage jobs and publically funded health care program.
According to a 2007 survey, the most popular CSN services are:
- The Wellness and Recovery Conference. The CSN/MN-USPRA conference is the only peer run yearly conference in the state, 75% attended during the 2006-2007 fiscal year.
- The Recovery Connection (the CSN newsletter). 47% surveyed read the quarterly publication at least once last year.
- The website, a handy resource on recovery and peer care. 43% of those surveyed used the website at least once last year.
- WRAP, 36% used the service last fiscal year.
- Mental Health Day on the Hill, where consumers advocate for self-identified needs. 35% attended.
- Regional Resource Centers. 28% of respondents used these centers.
- Vocational WRAP, to retain and obtain employment. A program used by 23% of respondents.
- Milestones to Recovery Program, an innovative peer-run center at RCMHC. 12% of respondents use the program.
- Other CSN trainings: 17%.